Monday, March 1, 2010

all in one

I have been asked for recipes. I swear I plan on sending emails chuck full of ways of making delicious food. I haven't done it. Today I came across this, 21kickstart.org, full of menu plans and recipes. My job just got easier, thank you. And here is a a recipe for Kristi. Quinoa Chili that my kids ate up and begged for more the next day. Let's see how well I do at making a formal recipe. I usually just figure things out as I go.



In a food processor I sliced
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 roma tomatoes.
I put all that in a pot along with some
olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp coriander
1 can of drained black beans.
While that was cooking I pureed
2 cans of no salt added diced tomatoes
a clove of garlic
I added the puree to the pot and cooked about 5-7 minutes to thicken it up.
I then added to the pot
32 oz of broth--whatever broth works for your family would work here, veggie, chicken, maybe even mushroom.
I then added 1/2 cup of quinoa. This amount makes for a really thick chili. We like it like that, but maybe adding less for those that are less enthused about quinoa is a good idea. Quinoa will take about 15 minutes to become tender so gage that with your carrots and celery. At this point I start adding pinches of more cumin and chili powder and some sea salt to fit our taste. the end result should just taste like chili nothing special, but this is the gluten free vegan (if veggie broth was used) dish with over 37 grams of protein in it.

I ate it with a slice of grain bread (not gluten free)and earth balance, which is a vegan equivalent to butter. It was pretty darn good.

3 comments:

  1. I feel so special to have a post dedicated to me! (that's how I read it, anyway (: ) This looks fantastic...I'll give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ashley garbe was looking for a recipe using that qunioa stuff, whatever it is, on her Facebook page. does she have your blog? If not, i will copy and paste it to her, or you could email it if you have her email. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that I just posted a request for quinoa recipes on my facebook status before I even saw this! I LOVE it! Sounds delicious and I can't wait to make it! Thanks so much. I really like quinoa, but my husband needs some convincing. I think this will do! The universe comes through once again!

    ReplyDelete