Cherries. These are super foods. Living here in Utah there is an abundant supply of them which makes these even more fantastic. Here is one food that is easy to eat locally. One of Cherries biggest claims to fame is the role they play in reducing inflammation. I became interested in cherries when my brother-in-law started battling gout. A great food to eat when battling swelling. I try to eat cherries daily as my family is genetically prone to arthritis. They are packed with antioxidants. We see a lot of sweet cherries available here. Tart cherries are a little richer in nutrients, but both are still healthful. They also have beta carotene (19 times more than blueberries or strawberries) vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron, fiber and folate. Additionally, cherries can be consumed in a juice form, dried or frozen with much of their nutritional value retained.
Who doesn't love fresh peas? They taste great and can keep the kids entertained. Peas have a great secret. Maybe this is well known, but I remember learning this and was amazed. Peas are full of vitamin K! Another great food for bone health. Frozen peas are a better option because of the sodium content of canned. Also, fresh peas should be refrigerated within a day of purchase as their sugar content turns into starch after that.
Have you noticed how many egg options there are in the grocery store? What do they all mean? There are a lot of hidden meanings behind the labeling. When you read "free range" what do you think of? If you are like me, I imagined these happy healthy roaming chickens outdoors for the majority of their day. By FDA standards, though, it means the chickens just need to have access to the outdoors. This could mean a small window, still never actually going outside. As I have learned more and more about eggs I have come to one conclusion: if possible, buy local. They are a little more expensive, but in the long run worth it. I can ask the farmers the conditions of the farms, if they really are free range, what they eat, sanitation etc.I know what we are consuming. It was eye-opening to see a documentary on chicken factories. The sanitation alone was awful, I actually felt bad I was feeding that to my kids. This is not a blanket statement about all egg producers. For me, It became hard to know which is the good and which is the bad. When buying locally you know. And here is a plug. I get my eggs for 3.00 a dozen at the Provo Farmer's Market, which is a great price. And if you get to know the farmers after the market is over you can go and pick up eggs in Payson for even less.

So, I finished The China Study and will never be the same again. Seriously. I'm trying 6 weeks without animal products. I have no intentions of going completely vegan for the rest of my life, but maybe it will help me eat less (animal products, that is).
ReplyDeleteBring on the ideas for good meals. I know there are plenty out there, but changing the way I think about dinner is taking quite a bit of effort at this point. I love your food posts. Everyone else thinks I'm crazy when I talk about this stuff.
And I'm glad your hubby is home, too. Yay for husbands!
I love that you are so willing to share your knowledge of food. I also love that you work that new camera so well. I wondered what you were doing on the front porch with a plate of food in such meager portions... now I know! Great post and great pics!
ReplyDeleteMeagan,
ReplyDeleteWay to go! I have to be honest, I have actually never read The China Study cover to cover. It's a really long book. I am impressed. I have a few ideas that I think you will like and will be posting them.