Quinoa and spinach.
So simple and my two year old licks the bowl clean.
1/2 c. quinoa
1 1/4 C. veggie broth
handfuls of spinach
Put quinoa and broth in a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach, let wilt to desired consistency. Serve.
I was going to add pecans to this, but was out, hence the trip to costco.
Here is a sandwich that I could eat for almost every meal.

White Bean Hummus with Fresh Thyme and Basil
Recipe from eat, drink & be vegan.
MAKES 6–7 SERVINGS (ABOUT 2½ CUPS). WHEAT-FREE
2 cups cooked cannellini (white kidney) beans (drained and rinsed if using canned beans)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
1 small to medium clove garlic, sliced
1 – 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (see note)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar (see note)
½ tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp sea salt
2½ - 3 tsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, torn or roughly chopped
1-2 tbsp water (may not need, just to thin dip as desired)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a food processor, combine all ingredients except water, thyme, and basil. Purée until smooth, gradually adding water as desired to thin dip and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add thyme and basil and purée briefly to incorporate ingredients.
I spread this pretty thick on a piece of Wasa bread and then put grated carrots on it. I love hummus and think this type of sandwich is the perfect quick picnic food.
Also, I use Great Northern Beans because I usually have those on hand. I make the tahini from scratch for all my hummus recipes. The taste, in my opinion, is so much better and it is more cost efficient.

Okay, so I'm totally making that Quinoa & Spinach for lunch... I've got all the stuff! WAHOO!
ReplyDeleteCan you tell me how you make tahini? I'm totally interested. Of course, you don't have to get to it right away. I know you have a lot going on with your hubby coming home and all. So just sometime when you get a chance. Thanks a bunch. Seriously, I appreciate the help!! :)
I'm interested in how you make the tahini too because I've looked for it and can't find it. Also, you said to see the notes for the recipe and I must have missed them.
ReplyDeleteIf you find time, I would love to hear your take on being vegan. I've flirted with the idea of thinking about maybe someday doing that (but tonight I had a bacon burger and it tasted so good), but I'd love to hear about your experience. It would be far in the future for me, but who knows? Maybe someday.