In January my church changed to 1 o'clock. I can actually attend. I can get my kids, clean, fed and dressed. I can pump, get dressed, and then get dressed again due to spit up or Peanut butter and Jelly or paint and still arrive on time. So I have been twice in January last week and today. Here is the open mouth insert foot part. Last week the comment I got from an individual was, "you know what they say about the military, 'they are either deployed or dead.'" That is right, that is a direct quote. This week the comment I got from an individual was "so is your husband alive?" pause, "you know I sent him an email a week ago and haven't heard back from him, so I was just wondering if he was alive." And no, this was not someone that pulled me into a private space and sincerly was asking about the well-being of Jer. He was loud and very public and almost irritated that he hadn't heard from him.
I think I might become a shut-in.
I have to admit, last week I did laugh a little bit not because the joke was funny, but because I was almost embarrassed for the guy. And this week I have to admit, I shed a little tear because as any military spouse can relate sometimes the answer is--I don't know.
ok I won't become a shut-in, but I think this week I am going to come up with 5-10 comebacks for socially awkward moments and write them on my hand before walking out the door for church.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow...people really need to think before they speak! I'm sorry about that Syd.
ReplyDeleteand some members wonder why people get offended so easily?!?!?! That totally would have bugged. I hope you come up with some awesome come backs that will make their jaws drop!!! ;) Don't become a shut-in, just surprise them back with some unexpected answer...maybe they will learn to be a little more considerate in what they say? ;) That's like when i just lost this baby. I actually someone say, "oh, how far along were you?" Then i would say, "about 7 weeks" then she said, "Oh, is that all? Well, at least you weren't attached yet." I just sat there, with my jaw to the ground...honestly, did she just say that to someone who had had an emotionally disrupting miscarraige only a week and a half prior??? Some people! I just don't get it.
ReplyDeletesorry, my english is terrible on that last quote! Someone needs some more sleep! ;-/ Hope it made sense.
ReplyDeleteI think you should ask the people who make "funny" comments to become shut-ins. As far as comebacks go, I have thought of a few...
ReplyDelete1. 'Whooaaa, look at the time, is it really already [TIME] I really have to get going.'
2. 'Is your face alive?'(this one gets 'em everytime)
3. 'I heard a rumor that your daughter is pregnant, is that true?' (this one is a little below the belt but works great especially if they don't even HAVE a daughter)
4. 'I heard your father law was hanging Christmas lights and fell off the ladder and croaked?!' (this one isn't funny)
5. 'He's alive he just doesn't have time to email people like you' (this one is really mean I can't imagine you'll use this one)
6. 'Nice suitcoat... NOT!'
7. 'Let me call him and see if he is still alive...' (reach into your pocket, purse, scripture bag, etc and pull out your BIRDIE FINGER right into their face!)(I can imagine this one you will use, probably pull out two birdie fingers in your case.)
I hope it helps... All my love
you two have stan and i cracking up! we miss your and your kids and we hope to have you as NC neighbors someday. Sydney-sorry for the crazies you have to put up with in church. i think of you often and would love to call someday when things settle down a little. Also, I don't think I have your email--can you let me know what it is? thanks
ReplyDeleteI love that those comments brought out the husband bear (is that the husband equivalent of mama bear?), even from far away. My favorite is the calling him and then bringing out the blazing finger. That would be classic in church.
ReplyDelete