Wednesday, April 8, 2009
what's in a name?
I am contending with the idea of blogging and children. It's true, I am the safety safe mother. When danger looms I grab my kids and head to the safety safe locking the door behind us. There I can be my over protective neurotic self. I shuttle my children safely under my wing and we sing songs of happiness and sunshine and wait for the eminent danger to subside. What danger, you ask? well anything really, it runs the gamut from scary people that wave hi to my ladies to scary dogs that are too big and run too fast. So this need of a safety safe has left me in a predicament. I want to leave my ladies protected inside, while still being able to blog about them. I am not comfortable giving out there names and ages, and dentists and foot sizes. so what should I do? I have thought about this. I could do the usual first letter of their name idea, but frankly, I don't like it. It stops the flow of a sentence. I find myself pausing every time I read a sentence with out-of- place letters. so that is a no go. I have been thinking about just using their nicknames, that's easy, but I am not sure how much I like that idea either. Perhaps I will live my childhood dreams through them and give them the names I wanted as a child.I would like to introduce to you my children...Shasta and Rainbow Bright, Rainbow for short. I wanted to be named Shasta so fiercely that I held a grudge toward my mother through ages 4 and 5. I knew I would have been destined for stardom and greatness if only my name was Shasta. It helped that my initials were S.H.A. that's half of it anyway. And when my friends and I would fight over the brilliant name, I would pull the initial card out...WINNER! I was always Shasta. So perhaps it's not appropriate to give my children my un-lived identity. They should have their own I guess. I think I will just do the simply...Ms. B and Ms. G. I like simple. So here is a picture of our family with them taking it upon themselves to conceal their own identities (shh, it's actually because they are superheroes).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

i think you should seriously consider changing your name to shasta. or at least finding some bitchin outlet where you can be known as SHHHAAASSSTTAAAAA!!
ReplyDeleteI love you. You are my hero!
ReplyDeleteAsh-